Bacon Recipes at the Gingerbread Cottage
We have quite a few bacon recipes because we are very fortunate to have a great organic bacon supplier that treats the animals very nicely and offers us many custom cuts.
Ayrshire Bacon and Eggs Breakfast
If you have a traditional “Proper English Breakfast” in Ireland, Scotland or Great Britain you’ll be served a rasher of bacon that’s also cut from the pork loin. However, unlike round-in-shape “Canadian back bacon” or pea meal bacon, it will also include a streaky piece of regular fatty bacon extending from the loin, which gives this bacon an elongated shape. This type of bacon is wet cured in brine and matured and often fairly thickly sliced. One well-known type is Scottish Ayrshire bacon, which is also made in other countries, including Canada.
Canadian Back Bacon and Farm Fresh Eggs
In her spare time, she is active in a European genealogy association, translating old handwritten German Fonts from antique church records. She has also researched and written a large family Genealogy History of the von Schellwitz aristocratic family.
Her idyllic Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Rental in beautiful downtown Victoria BC Canada is open year round, and you are assured of a professional yet personable experience. Vanessa is all about hospitality and routinely welcomes notable guests from all over the world. She especially likes when other chefs stay at the Cottage so she can ‘wow them’ with her Ayrshire Bacon or other Vancouver Island local fine products.
Your Hostess and Private Chef
Vanessa von Schellwitz
Owner Operator Gingerbread Cottage B&B
- As a child, Vanessa was a real life “Heidi” living in the Eschen Villa on the clean, cold alpine Attersee Lake, in Seewalchen Austria, 50 KM East of Salzburg.
- Vanessa’s birthplace was located 50 meters from her Godmother’s famous Paulick Villa – the Summer Playground to Vienna’s Elite Art nouveau Community including Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Richard Teschner and Friedrich Paulick at the turn of the 19th century.
- In fact, the aunt of Vanessa’s Godmother, Gertrude Floege, was the famous fashion designer Emelia Floege – life companion of Gustav Klimt who frequently painted at the Paulick Villa..
- Also the last Countess Maria dei Medici, who lived adjacent to the Eschen Villa hand wrote a poem for Vanessa as a child… Not many People can say that!
- Vanessa got her teaching Degree in Salzburg but her real love and talents were for cooking..
- Coming to Vancouver Island via Culture City itself – Salzburg Austria – A true Austrian,Vanessa has pure Mozart flowing through her veins and a delicious piping hot Austrian ApfelStrudel in the Oven for her many guests!
- Vanessa and her 70’s husband owned and operated the Austrian Chalet, an 80 room hotel with 3 Restaurants in Campbell River BC
- Vanessa spent many years as Victoria BC’s busiest and most Versatile Culinary Instructor from her Veni. Vidi, Coxi Cooking School, and operating her busy “Vienna Catering” Business
- Author of 8 Cookbooks, Vanessa also wrote a food Column, had her own TV cooking show and did food styling for other local authors.
Vanessa makes all her guests feel like Austrian Royalty in her c. 1905 Victorian “Arts and Crafts Heritage Home” with Cozy Themed rooms and Elegant 3 Course Breakfasts in her “Bavarian Gasthaus” Style Breakfast Room
Please Feel Free to Contact us for booking information.
Call Toll free 1-877-767-2121
iMessage or Text 250-812-5457